26 February 2008

Thoughts about time and tatting

The hardest 'job' I had with time was adjusting to being retired. For all my working life my main ambition was to retire. I worked full time as a teacher (mainly the five year olds) at the same time raising two kids with an ex who was more often than not away on business or with his stupid hobby. After the teaching I then did temp office work. I rushed from place to place (mainly on my bike) sometimes working three jobs in a day.
Thus retirement was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
BUT when I got there it took me several years of self training to manage the time I supposedly had. I couldn't get it through my thick skull that I could read that extra chapter or three in bed in the morning and that I didn't have to rush around anymore. I'm there now and the only rushing I ever try to do is to appointments.
What I suppose I'm trying to tell you is that I love having too many tatting projects 'on the go'. I'm in my element at the moment although my own projects are having to wait a week or two.
Yesterday evening (no tatting in the afternoon as I was helping a couple of friends out with computers) I did another 20 of the small snowflakes - tat's now 72 completed.
Towards the end of the evening I had an email from Iris. She's asked me to test tat a pattern for her. Now, who could resist that? Well I had to at that time of the evening as I think I need a well rested brain to do it!!! Also I will have to get into my tat cupboard to find beads etc!!!

So the list is sort of not getting any longer but also not getting a lot shorter either!!!!
Isn't life good? I've never been bored in my life and as long as I can manage a shuttle I'm sure I never will be!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a refreshing blog today. I am just getting ready to retire myself on March 21, 2008. I have worked for the past 30 years in an office. The past seven driving 60 miles one way. I am really looking forward to having the extra time to read, sew or tat. Your blog has just reminded me of the wonderful world of retirement that I am so looking forward to.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Amen!

Tattycat said...

This post if great. People just don't realize how difficult it is to get into a new routine and manage your time. Most people say they have less time retired than when they worked. I am so glad that you are enjoying yours and love being busy, because that's what you always seem to be! Have fun. By the way, that herd of hippos on your TIAS blog didn't cause the earthquake over there yesterday, did it? LOL

Marilee Rockley said...

That is so wonderful that you are enjoying yourself, and using your time for coming up with these wonderful tatting ideas for us! Thank you, thank you -- and keep having fun!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.