31 May 2009

Tatting afternoon

What a fabulous day yesterday. The sun shone. Yup, all day - until it got dark!! Not only that but Jennifer Williams drove all the way from Welsh Wales for a tatting chatting day.

She arrived mid morning and that meant time for coffee and - well, you've guessed - tat chat in the garden.


We then went to Nuneaton (about thirty miles away) to join the Heart of England Tatters. This is the group run by Rosemarie Peel. We got there slightly late but it didn't matter. Rosemarie had a fabulous pattern for us to try. A development from a Randy Houtz one.

As usual Rosemarie was well prepared and the lesson got underway. Billy Muggins here didn't do very well. I had two (or was it three?) starts on it before the final and serious attempt got under way. Then at the crucial point my 'very important' thread broke. I gave up I'm
appalled to admit. I really should've taken brain cell # 3 with me but I never gave it a thought. I'll have another attempt at the pattern in a few days time.

There was a raffle and as Rosemarie announced that she was drawing it she said 'the winner is' and I muttered number 451 quietly to Jennifer just in time to hear Rosemarie say 'number 451'. I was gobsmacked which you can imagine was a first time.

The prize was that I was asked to choose a shuttle and this is the one I chose. I've never seen one like this before. It was from the collection of the late and much missed Caroline Cramp. This was a lady who was forever tatting and laughing.

After the afternoon session finished we returned to my house for something to eat (courtesy of the Chinese place at the end of the road!) and then Jennifer drove back to Wales. Thanks, Jennifer for persuading me out of my pit and taking me to Nuneaton - I enjoyed the trip and your company very much.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That shuttle is very cool! Love it! Lucky you. Congratulations for winning! :)

Gina said...

OHhhh, lucky you! What a wonderful win!

Fox said...

Sounds like s great day. Good for you, for getting away! Lovely and unusual new shuttle to mark the occasion. Fox : )

Leslie said...

Great shuttle, how so very kewl is that.

tattrldy said...

Love the shuttle! It sounds like a great day even if you didn't finish the pattern. Some things, like visiting and getting out, can be more important. Wouldn't mind seeing the piece when you finish it, though!

Maureen said...

It must have been your lucky day! - how exciting. But I've been thinking what a long day it must have been for Jennifer, driving home so late - how far away IS Wales?

Valerie said...

A fantastic and lucky day indeed! Good for ya.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Oh...how I would love to go to a tatting chatting day! It sounds marvelous and I LOVE the shuttle!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Wished I could've been there. Sounds like you had a good time.

I love that shuttle. I saw that shuttle in a catalog in 1998 and sent away for the catalog hoping to someday order that shuttle. Well I still have the catalog, but didn't order the Toucan Shuttle.

The catalog was called Sebalace and they are in the UK. Here is the address, but I don't know if they are still in business. Waterloo Mill, Howden Rd., Silsden, Keighley, W. Yorkshire BD20 OHA Tele: (01535) 655885. No web site listed.

There was also a fish shuttle and a seahorse shuttle like the toucan in this catalog along with other unique lace related items. Congrats on winning the unique shuttle!!

Ridgewoman said...

Well, that's just too cool for school! Just love it! XX

Art by JoyMac said...

What a beautiful shuttle..must have been your luvky day and I bet you had a wonderful time
Hugs

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.