3 July 2012

Talking bangles!!!

Have you ever seen these before?  I spotted them on Roseground Supplies page a few weeks ago.  Of course I HAD to have one - or two - or three!!! They offer a pattern to buy to go with the bangles but me being an independent old git didn't want the pattern!!!  I looked at what they were offering and realised that the pieces were sewn on after they were made.  That's NOT my way of working.

I have a 'THING' about adding 'stuff' to tatting after it's finished (or, come to that, adding tatting to things!) whether it be beads, sequins or accessories.  I never, ever think that's a safe thing to do.  Glue gives up 'gluing' in the end and thread comes undone if things are sewn on. 

In the bottom picture you can see my initial experiments.  The rest you'll have to wait for!!!

6 comments:

geraldine said...

Have just done one as you have seen. I have another one in silver, so I'm watching this space for a pattern?????

Margarets designer cards said...

You are right about glue and sewing bits on tatting, I don't do it either, looking forward to seeing what you end up.
Margaret

Riet said...

Jane,
I have 2 of these bracelets, one with a pattern for bobbinlace. The bobbinlace is worked on the metal by sewing.
At this moment I was busy to make a design for tatting, but just a piece that later on wil be on the metal by sewing.
hugs
Riet the B-engel

Fox said...

That is quite a challenge!

I quite agree with you about the add-ons. Even before tatting I never was one for things glued, tied or stuck on something, not intrinsically joined in the original, whatever the form of the main piece. Stuck-on stuff sits sorely on my silly sensibilities!

Fox ; )

God's Kid said...

Can't wait to see the finished project!! :)

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I saw Geraldine's post last week and wondered if the bracelet was open-ended for slipping onto the wrist, and now I see that it is! I actually looked for the bracelet this past weekend in some craft stores (unsucessfully), but now I see where they can be obtained. It's really intriguing to see how you're attaching it 'as you go'.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.