20 April 2015

New top

When we did the changeover of the grandchildren a week or two ago I wandered into Cotton Traders which has a shop at the Evesham Garden Centre.

Now I RARELY find anything I like or which fits me but this was my lucky day. Most of the things in there are 'old lady' things.  Oh, I know I'm old but I've never claimed to be a 'lady' or want to dress like either!!!  The top picture shows the top I bought and the bottom one shows it on it's way to being 'amended'!!!! 

Plan one was to unpick the machine embroidery - it really didn't 'do' anything for me and I still have a hangover from the days when I used to make all my own (and the kid's) clothes and hate seeing people in the same things as me. After about ten minutes I realised I was on the way to nowhere!!! Plan two had to come into operation!!!!  What was that?  Well, a quick rummage in my fabric stash, a piece of newspaper and a pair of scissors and I'd made a pattern out of a piece of fabric I'd found that was a darn good match.

The next hour or two was spent hand sewing the new pieces onto the top.  The beauty of this top is that the fabric is substantial and that the yoke was two layers with a sort of 'dip' to fit the 'amendment' into.

Next task?  Well, I'll leave you to guess!!!!  It MAY have something to do with tatting, don't you think?!?!?!

6 comments:

Maureen said...

That's a lot of work! - but of COURSE there will be tatting, and I'm dying to see what you choose! How about the new Barn Owl?

Ladytats said...

looks good Jane, you have a good eye for this, so I expect there to be tatting.

Anonymous said...

It will be very nice, I'm sure.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Of course tatting must be added!

muskaan said...

How clever ! Eager to see the yoke "come alive" with your tatting :-)

erin said...

Only you, Jane. Only you would reinvent the shirt. Heehee!

Sign me
Another Old Git

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.