18 November 2016

A total failure


After the success (well, in my opinion) of my last Dora Young project I'm showing you just two pictures of this failure!!! 

This is the pattern on page 18 of the Dora Young book.  It's not an easy one to follow but has been made more complicated by trying to 'train' BC3 to use a picot gauge.

When I started tatting there were no such things as gauges and when they did finally become 'available' some forty years or more later I just didn't see the point as I'd got pretty good even picots by eyeballing them.  BUT when it came to this pattern it states categorically that all picots should be 3/8".  I decided that I'd better use one.  Well first attempt (not shown here) resulted in a real mess.  This was because I din't know whether to lay the gauge (made out of a milk bottle container), alongside the core thread or standing up!!!  Once I'd determined which way (standing up) I then made another which lay alongside as that made for faster tatting (for me!).  Lots of experiments to get the 'right' sized picot resulted from that!!!

It took these two attempts for me to realise that it wasn't going to work using a gauge when making lock joins so (for now) I've abandoned this pattern.  I WILL go back to it as I truly love the motifs when they're attached to each other - the negative space is pretty darn cool. Meanwhile I'm off on another Dora adventure so - watch this space!!!

13 comments:

Memé said...

Two attempts I'm so sorry. In this you have been busy for a long time.

Pigmini said...

It is easier to use them standing up as you then don't have to remove it each time. Or at least that's what I've found. Can't wait for this book!!!

Jane McLellan said...

I use a gauge horizontally too. Did you try tatting it without a gauge?

Jane Eborall said...

You'll have to wait and see what happens next, Jane!!! I'm off on another adventure out of the Dora book already!!!!

Jane Eborall said...

That's why I made a smaller gauge, Sue but with the lock joins it still didn't 'do' it for me!!!

Jane Eborall said...

A long time, Meme but as I no longer work I have the time!!! Keeps me out of mischief too!!!

God's Kid said...

I am sure you will get it and it will be awesome!!! :)

GoldenMom said...

Jane, this makes me feel better as I've encountered patterns that I've had to abandon for now too. You're human! Ha

Jane Eborall said...

I'm definitely not an alien BMDMom!!!!! Human is good!!

Elizabeth said...

I'm sure it will be beautiful. Your tatting always is. I'm not much on picot gauges either. I would rather eyeball it. Course my eyes are not what they used to be so maybe I should change.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

It's difficult to think of your name and the term total failure being linked. I prefer experimental tatting!

Jane Eborall said...

Believe me it was total failure and it happens quite regularly. Mainly due to lack of concentration.

Ninetta said...

Daunting pattern!
Thank you very much for the visibility :-)

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.